Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Yule Log


Gage 2004

Davis 2005

Davis 2005
When I first met Ward it was very interesting to see how his family celebrated Christmas. What traditions they had as a family compared to what we did as a family. Christmas was huge at our house, it was my parents favorite holiday. We had a "real" Christmas tree each year, although one year when I was a child we had a white fake tree with colored lights, go figure it was the 70's. Ward also had a real tree with mis-match family ornaments. We had mis-match family ornaments as well. A lot of which my mother made when she was pregnant with me. (I am a Feb Babe) One ornament that stands out in my mind was a pottery ornament that his brother Len made (I think it was Len) anyway it weighs about 10 pounds and hung proudly on the tree. My favorite ornament which ward laughs at each year is a dried starfish with my picture on it - I made it in Brownies when I was in 2nd grade. At our house my parents would sit on the couch and instruct me on where to hang each ornament. Our Christmas stockings changed each year - Ward has this really cool stocking someone made for him that is really soft. A tradition at the Adcock house that never happened at mine was the "Yule" log. They would decorate a log to burn in the fireplace, I guess it was a big deal to their mother to have this log. The boys laugh and make fun of it now, but secretly I think it was one of their favorite things about Christmas. We have a gas fireplace so no yule log for us. But we do have a lighted brick that could serve as our Yule. I opened all of my gifts before Christmas and would re-tape them, after a few years my mother caught on and would wrap them a few times or even wrap up something I already had. I have since stopped doing this, after I waited 9 months to find out if Gage & Davis were boys or girls - I figured I could wait on a gift. But what I remember most about Christmas was that we would go to Christmas Eve service at mid-night at church. We would read scriptures and sing in a sanctuary lit only by candles. Later we would exit the church when the chimes rang at midnight and go outside to sing Silent Night. I loved this most of all when we lived in Charleston and went to this old church built in the 1800's. We still do this at our church here - it just happens at dusk and the children light all of our candles as we sing silent night. (Yes, even Davis did this last year). I will really miss not be able to go this year. At our house now we have some new traditions of our own, while we are away at church Santa sends his elves to drop of PJ's and slippers. They are sprinkled with sleep dust, to help you fall asleep quickly. We ride around after church and look at decorated houses. Then we have breakfast for dinner. This Christmas will be special, soon after my bed rest will be over, we will have a new baby. I am thankful for all of the traditions we had growing up, and maybe one day we will even add the Yule log to our house.